The Breda’s Begijnhof Museum is a walled complex that consists of houses and a small church and can be found in the center of Breda. 29 houses spreading over two courtyards are grouped around an herb garden and referred to as the Begijnhof. The Breda’s Begijnhof Museum provides insight into the world of Breda’s beguines. It includes a permanent exhibition of relics from the collection of Hamers IJsebrand and Harrie Hammers.
The first beguines were founded by Mr Hendrick van Breda, lord of shots and Breda, in 1267. That castle was moved to its current location in Catherine’s street in 1535 due to its expansion. In the 19th century, the court was expanded with a second courtyard and the St Catherine church.
The beguines were since the 12th century a movement of pious Catholic women who wanted to live a life of contemplation, and prayer in chastity. The Beguines were mostly of noble descent. The first Beguinage foundation was laid bare in the 90’s of the 20th century and studied. The majority of houses were replaced in the 17th century. Breda’s Begijnhof Museum is the oldest of the two beguine found in the Netherlands.
What To Expect
The museum offers insight into the life of the beguines. On the ground floor is located the living area and kitchen arrange as it was by the beguine, above there is highlight of different aspects of the Beguine live is small setups. An audiovisual program also runs there under the name “Brides of Christ.” The Begijnhof Breda consist of
The Beguine House
Numbers 31 to 43 are the first houses built in 1535 . Then the numbers were 63 to 73. beguine house consisted of two rooms; an anteroom and a bottom plummeted upper room on the ground floor. In the Mid-18th century there was a floor built on top.
In July 9, 2011 the Breda Museum opened a permanent exhibition on the history of Breda. Large model of Breda and his crew, siege maps, the relationship of the city with the house of orange-Nassau, the revolt against the king of Spain and many different exhibitions depicting that period.
In 2004 the building at the Monastery Square was transformed into a casino. It is part of a broader plan to Breda Museum in the center of Breda to create a series of museum exhibitions that increases the attraction value of monumental sites.
The museum has many houses that served various functions which have been attracting visitors all over. Some of those houses include:
The Bleekveld and laundry . In 1970, the lawn where the beguines linen dried restored. They did the laundry for the parish churches. In 1842, a rinse and wash house was decorated with stone pump.
The Kakhuis from 1856. There were four kakdozen . The rinsing water reached the Beguines at the pump. Until the seventies, they have remained in use, and then got the house plumbing and toilets. Now the herb seeds are stored there.
The Beguine Church, built in 1836-1838. The building is a single-nave chapel of brick neoclassical style. In 1888-1891 there were two stained- glass windows of the two patron saints: St. Catherine and St. Begga . There are three windows dedicated to the life of St Begga.
The Museum cafe
The museum cafe can often receive groups for special arrangements. A great place for a cup of coffee or buying different pastries.
How to get there
The museum is open from Thursday to Sunday from 12:00 to 17:00. There is an admission fee of €1. Getting to the museum is possible either by car, or public transport, there are lots of buses, and trams that goes there.