The ruins of Teylingen Castle, also known as Slot Teylingen, is an impressive site that dates back to the 13th century. Located in the town of Teylingen in Voorhout, the ruins sit right on the border of Sassenheim. The former castle was believed to be the home of the noble family Van Teylingen, who were descendants of the Van Brederode family.
Teylingen Castle History
When the castle was first built, its purpose was to protect the Rhine dike and the road to Haarlem. It would later go on to become the forester’s castle for the counts of Holland, which started with William IV, count of Holland. Perhaps the most famous inhabitants of the castle were Jacoba of Bavaria and Frank van Borssele.
The castle was badly damaged during the Eighty Years’ War in 1570, although it was partially restored shortly thereafter. In 1675, the donjon was destroyed by fire and part of the castle was demolished. The land the castle sits on as well as the ruins would fall into the hands of the province of Holland in 1795. The complex was eventually sold, but only under the stipulation that the ruins would not be demolished. In 1889, the ruins were donated back to the state and are still owned by the state today.
The state’s building service are in charge of caring and maintaining the castle ruins. In the latter part of the 20th century, the ruins and the moat were both restored. The restorations were only made possible by the Foundation Slot Teylingen.
Visiting the Ruins
Although the castle stands in ruins, they are very well preserved. The surrounding wall is still intact as well as a donjon. The castle is also partially surrounded by a moat and dates back to the 13th century.
Weddings can take place in the middle of the ruins as well as the keep. School trips and tours can also be arranged where children can learn about the castle’s history. Archeology lessons can also be given where kids have the chance to actually dig up objects in the ruins.
The castle is open to the public from Friday until Sunday from 2PM and 5PM, but visitors can only tour the ruins by appointment only. Much like other castles in the area, the structure is closed during the winter from November until February.
- Children under 13 years of age: € 1,50
- Adults: € 3,00
Address & Map: